Travel Assistance in Victoria

Last updated on June 29th, 2023

The state of Victoria offers assistance to individuals with disabilities for all kinds of public transport in metropolitan Melbourne and some regional areas. Below is a summary of the travel assistance fact sheet available on Better Health Channel.


  • All Melbourne metro trains and regional V/Line trains are accessible to people with mobility needs (i.e. those who use wheelchairs, mobility scooters and other mobility devices)
  • Newer style trains, namely Sprinter and VLocity trains, have wheelchair-accessible toilets; older ones have limited accessibility. You can check the train timetables to see available accessible services.
  • Most train stations have access ramps to platforms. If unavailable, the conductor or train station staff will assist you.
  • City Loop stations have lift access
  • All metro stations have tactile paths and verbal announcement of time and destination at platforms for the vision impaired 
  • All premium metro stations and other Melbourne stations have electronic display boards for the hearing impaired
  • You may know more about train and train station accessibility by calling Public Transport Victoria at 1800 800 007. You may also visit the Metro Trains website or V/Line accessibility website.


  • Low-floor trams are available in the Melbourne tram network. Low-floor trams are designed especially for those with mobility issues. tramTracker helps you find low-floor trams.
  • You can get on low-floor trams at level access tram stops or accessible stops
  • Priority seats are available in Melbourne metro trams–both low-floor and high-floor. These are near the driver’s seat. If getting on low-floor trams, you will find step-free priority seating.
  • Yarra Trams has more information about accessible journeys and accessible stops.


  • Buses on the Melbourne metropolitan network are wheelchair-accessible; buses to and from regional Victoria are mostly accessible, depending on the route.
  • While Public Transport Victoria lists accessibility options on the timetable, you can’t filter routes by accessible services. Instead, you can click Accessibility at the bottom of the route you choose. You may also turn on Wheelchair accessible services only and/or Stops/stations with wheelchair access only. 
  • Alternatively, you may contact the bus operators themselves. The same applies if you’re travelling in regional Victoria.


  • While wheelchair accessible taxis are available in Melbourne and select regional areas, taxis cannot accommodate high-care chairs (e.g. scooter and princess chair) unless:
    • the driver can stop them from moving while driving
    • you can use the available fixed seat and seat belt
  • Multi-Purpose Taxi Program, a subsidised taxi fares program, is available for severely and permanently disabled.

Travel Passes

  • These travel passes are available on all Victorian public transport services for people with disabilities:
    • Access Travel Pass. For Victorian residents with permanent disabilities–physical, cognitive or mental, you may avail of this travel pass. If qualified, you may travel FREE on:
      • Metro trains, trams, and buses
      • Regional trains and coaches
      • Regional town buses
      • Other recognized regional transport services

To apply for an Access Travel Pass, fill out the form on this site.

  • Vision Impaired Travel Pass. If you’re legally blind, you may qualify for this travel pass. To be eligible, you must be a resident of Victoria and present an assessment from an ophthalmologist or optometrist. You may then travel FREE on:
    • Metro trains, trams, and buses
    • Regional trains and coaches
    • Regional town buses
    • Other recognized regional transport services

To apply for a Vision Impaired Travel Pass, fill out the form on this site.

  • Scooter and Wheelchair Travel Pass. If you can’t move without a scooter or wheelchair, you can apply for this travel pass as long as you’re a resident of Victoria and your disability is permanent or severe. If qualified, you can travel FREE on:
    • Metro trains, trams, and buses
    • Regional trains and coaches
    • Regional town buses
    • Other recognized regional transport services

To apply for a Scooter and Wheelchair Travel Pass, fill out the form on this site.

  • Travel passes are loaded onto a personalised Myki card. You don’t have to touch it on or off; just show it to the staff
  • If travelling interstate or via private operator, check first if your Travel Pass will be honoured before travelling.
  • It’s always good to book in advance to make sure there’s space for you.

Mobility Allowance

  • If you can’t use public transport without substantial assistance, you may apply for a mobility allowance. These are the requirements:
    • You have to be at least 16 years of age
    • You have to be an Australian resident for at least 2 to 4 years.
    • You need to travel for at least 12 months for work (paid or voluntary), training or job hunting
    • You have a medical report from your doctor
    • You are not funded by the National Disability Insurance Scheme
    • You don’t have a car under the Vehicle Assistance Scheme of the Department of Veterans Affairs
  • You can get either $99.50 or $139.10 a fortnight, depending on your circumstances. Check Services Australia’s website for more information.
  • To claim your allowance, follow the instructions outlined on this web page.

Travel companions

  • If you can’t travel without a carer, guide dog, or assistance animal, you may apply for these cards/passes:
    • Companion® card for carers or travel companions. If you meet the residency criteria and can prove that your mobility highly depends on someone else’s help, you can apply for a companion card. This card is honoured in all Victorian public transport services and affiliated businesses. Individuals using this card can use public transport for FREE. Learn more about Companion® card on its website.
    • Assistance Animal Pass. If you need assistance from an assistance animal (usually a dog), you may apply for this pass. These animals are usually for mobility, psychiatric, or medical support. To qualify for this pass, your assistance animal must be trained and hygienic. Learn more about these criteria on Public Transport Victoria’s site.
  • Guide and hearing dogs don’t need an animal pass. They can travel free with you.

More help:

You can also check out these services for more help:


More Posts

Get a free copy of our moving checklist and cost of living

Enquiry Form

Sign up to receive your free download!

Download your free moving resources

FREE International Relocation Checklist and Cost of Living Sheet

Verified by MonsterInsights